Student employees feel budget crunch

By Rob Heselbarth

No raises, fewer working hours and increased workloads are what many current NIU student employees can expect as a result of recent budget cuts.

“I don’t think we’re fearing layoffs,” said Lola Strasser, university libraries personnel assistant. “Because of the budget cuts, no one gets raises and we’re hiring less. The less we hire, the less we’re forced to lay off.”

Kay Carson, assistant director of University Food Services said, “We’re trying to do as much as possible with all the help we already have. We’re watching our money.”

Another student employer, Juliette Moore, Office of Campus Recreation director, said she thinks students were somewhat afraid they would be laid off, but now they can feel confident that they will keep their jobs.

“We plan on reducing student hours, and none of them will be receiving raises,” Moore said. “We haven’t heard of any more cuts through the pipeline. We hope we can get along with just reducing hours.”

Bob Gallagher, Holmes Student Center Bookstore employee, said he has definitely experienced shorter hours.

“As far as the bookstore is concerned, current employees are okay, but there will be less hiring in the future,” Gallagher said. “That will keep us within our current workload.”

Strasser agreed. “There’s a lot of stress and a lot of work to get done because of the fewer amount of people, due to the cuts,” she said.

Founders Memorial Library employee Lori Benbow said, “We have fewer people working each shift which in a way is better, because it gives us workers more to do, and it keeps us busy.

“We hired one new person this semester, but that was to replace someone who quit,” Benbow said.

Some NIU departments are facing funding cuts that will affect them in different ways.

“In the English department, teaching of freshmen English classes and related courses is done by temporary instructors who are graduate students trying to support themselves,” said College of English Chairman James Miller.

“Next year, we will have to get along with less faculty due to budget cuts,” Miller said.

The rec center also experienced a cut. “We had a fifty percent reduction in funds for travel to professional conferences by our full time employees,” Moore said. “It has been reduced to almost nothing.”