BREAKING NEWS: NIU staff member struck by Huskie Line bus near Holmes Student Center

Sean Reed

A City of DeKalb ambulance arriving on scene for an incident involving a Huskie Line bus Wednesday evening off of Lucinda Avenue near the Holmes Student Center. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB – An NIU staff member was struck by a 2L Huskie Line bus at approximately 3:55 p.m. Wednesday, at the bus turnaround between the Holmes Student Center and Neptune Hall. 

An ambulance with paramedics from the City of DeKalb Fire Department arrived on the scene at 4:01 p.m. and began to assess possible injuries of the staff member as NIU Police helped direct traffic away from the scene. 

Paramedics opening a stretcher in front of the Huskie Line bus involved in the incident that took place on Wednesday evening in the turnaround between the HSC and Neptune Hall. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

The victim complained of leg pain and was taken to Kishwaukee Hospital for evaluation, according to comment from NIU Police. 

“At this time, it is a developing situation, but it looks like we will not be re-routing any bus lines,” said City of DeKalb Transit Manager Mike Neuenkirchen.

The investigation into the incident is ongoing and no citations have been issued at the time of publication.

This story has been updated to include further information about the incident.