STEM Fest to be held Saturday on campus

Getty Images

STEM Fest will be taking place on various parts of NIU campus.

By Caleb Johnson, Lifestyle Writer

NIU STEAM’s annual STEM Fest will be held Oct. 15. STEM Fest is a festival dedicated to the fields of technology, engineering, science and mathematics. The event will be held in the MLK Commons, Founders Memorial Library, the Holmes Student Center and Anderson Hall.

There is no cost for attending this event. STEM Fest will be open to people of all ages and will feature hundreds of exhibits. There will also be speakers and demonstrations available for attendees.

There are five events scheduled at the Curiosity Stage, and four events are scheduled for the Curiosity Stage. Each stage will be housed in the Holmes Student Center.

Some of the stage schedules include the NIU STEAM Road Show at 10:30 a.m. featuring NIU STEAM Educator Jeremy Benson; Spreading the Art and Joy of Capoeira at 11:30 a.m. featuring Director of Percussion Studies Gregory Beyer; The Nightmare Before Science at 3:30 p.m. with the NIU Chemistry Club and the STEM of Candy Making featuring TaAqua Campbell, the platform innovation manager at ferrara candy company.

Some of the exhibits include the Robotics and Rover Exhibits by NIU’s Mars Rover and Robotics Team, which will showcase some projects the team is working on. The Meta Code Remix and Block Fest will teach how to program music beats using JavaScript which will be available to people who are 13 or older and have registered from the events website.

Also making a return is the Haunted Lab, located in the Holmes Student Center. This event is interactive and intended for all ages because it is intended to teach about science and experimentation using lights, lasers and other equipment.

Parking is free on campus during STEM Fest. Events will be taking place between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. The map of the festival and more information can be found on the event website.