Huskies dominate Eastern Michigan, running backs shine in 39-10 victory

Courtesy of Amber Pietz

Fourth-year wide receiver Jayshon Jackson catches the football in a game against Northern Illinois Oct. 1 at Sheumann Stadium. Jackson had 10 receptions during the game. (Amber Pietz | Ball State Daily News)

DeKALB – The Huskie defense shut down Eastern Michigan University’s offense, as NIU earned its second win of the season.  

The win ended the Huskies’ five game losing streak. It was also NIU’s first win against a Mid-American Conference opponent this season.

“First of all, I’m just proud of our team and coaching staff,” head coach Thomas Hammock said. “We continue to go to work every week to try and improve as a football team and I think we did that today.”

Redshirt senior Rocky Lombardi was in uniform on the sideline for the start of the game. Lombardi missed the Huskies’ last three contests. He went down in the second quarter of NIU’s third matchup against the Vanderbilt University Commodores with a non-contact injury to his leg. 

Lombardi completed his first pass since his injury, a 14-yard pass to redshirt senior wide receiver Cole Tucker to convert a third down and eleven. Lombardi went 11-for-15 with 115 passing yards in the game. He was under center 9 times on third downs. Lombardi was also at quarterback when the Huskies needed to throw the ball down field. 

Sophomore quarterback Justin Lynch got the start today for the Huskies. Redshirt freshman quarterback Ethan Hampton was unable to make the trip to Ypsilanti, Michigan, due to an injury. Lynch is a rushing quarterback, and he showed that in this game where he totaled 43 rushing yards on the game and completing only one pass. 

Sophomore running backs Harrison Waylee and Antario Brown were able to gain 244 of NIU’s 287 rushing yards in the game. Northern Illinois gave Waylee and Brown several direct snaps throughout the game, which led to two touchdowns for Brown. Waylee’s only touchdown of the game came late in the fourth quarter when he went 76-yards for a Huskie touchdown. 

Waylee was also able to continue from his impressive performances in the last two weeks. On Oct. 1 against the Ball State University Cardinals, Waylee totaled 230 rushing yards on 30 attempts and three touchdowns. On Oct. 8 against the University of Toledo Rockets, Waylee led the Huskies in receiving with 10 receptions and 96 receiving yards. Waylee had 158 rushing yards and one touchdown this week against EMU.

“It’s always fun when you have two running backs because every week we are competing for reps, so it’s always fun,” Brown said about Waylee.

NIU’s defense started this game with a defensive touchdown when redshirt sophomore defensive tackle James Ester tipped a pass to himself from Eastern Michigan’s graduate quarterback Taylor Powell. This was Ester’s first touchdown of his college career. 

“It was definitely a big time play,” Ester said. “I think all of our guys could have made that play, I just happened to be the one in position.”

The rest of the defense was also able to apply pressure and stop EMU’s offense. The Huskies’ defensive front was able to produce 5 sacks in the game, with two of the sacks coming on fourth down. NIU’s secondary was able to hold Powell to 197 passing yards and one touchdown.

NIU avoided kicking to EMU’s kick returner, junior running back Jaylon Jackson, during the game on every kickoff. Late in the third quarter, Jackson received the kickoff from the Huskies and fumbled the ball back to NIU. This season, Jackson has 323 yards on 9 kickoff return attempts and one touchdown.

NIU’s redshirt junior kicker John Richardson was able to go 4-for-4 on field goals in today’s game.

The Huskies’ next game will be against the Ohio University Bobcats at 1 p.m. on Oct. 22 at Peden Stadium in Athens, Ohio. The game can be watched on ESPN+ and live stats will be available at SIDEARM Sports.