Naro, Ly lead Huskies in Falcon Florida Classic

Zulfiqar Ahmed | Northern Star

Then-junior Ahra Ko launches a ball during practice on Aug. 28. Ko finished tied for 16th at the Johnie Imes Invitational.

By Joseph Segreti, Sports Reporter

DeKALB – NIU women’s golf took first place at the Falcon Florida Classic as the Huskies earned the top two individual finishes.

The Huskies finished the invite with a score of 14 under par, 850. The University of Idaho finished behind NIU in second place with a score of four under par, 860. The University of Toledo rounded out the top three, finishing with a score of three over par, 867.

Graduate student Sydney Naro was the individual winner at the Falcon Florida Classic, finishing with a total score of 10 under par, 206. She finished the first round with a score of two under par, the second round with a score of four under par and the third round at four under par. Naro also earned 14 birdies through the three rounds of play. 

Junior Jasmine Ly finished in second place behind Naro with a total score of six under par, 210. Ly had a first round score of two under par, second round score of three under par and a third round score of one under par. She also accumulated 11 birdies by the end of the invite. 

Senior Ahra Ko was the third Huskie golfer to finish in the top ten, finishing tied for eighth with Ali Schrock from Illinois State University. Her final score was one under par, 215. She finished the first round with a score of two under par, the second round she scored one over par and the third round at even par. Ko also finished the event collecting 10 birdies. 

Junior Emily Romancew finished tied for 17th with Megha Vallabhaneni from Central Michigan University, scoring four over par, 220. Entering the final round of golf, Romancew was in ninth place, but a final round score of one over par forced her to fall eight places to 17th. 

The Huskies’ next invitational will be the Atlantic Invitational on Feb. 20 and Feb. 21 in Boynton Beach, Florida, at the Indian Spring Country Club.