DeKalb day planner: Feb. 25

Alyssa Queen

NIU women’s basketball team huddled in a circle before the game on Feb. 18, 2023 against Ball State. The Huskies defeated the University of Central Michigan on Saturday by a final score of 70- 57. (Northern Star file photo)

By Michael Mollsen, Written Managing Editor

Get out of the house this Saturday and enjoy all that DeKalb has to offer!

Baila Conmigo: Bachata

From 10 a.m. to 11 a.m. Saturday, the DeKalb Public Library will be hosting an hour long class on the popular Latin dance Bachata. Those who attend will learn the dance from easy to follow steps as well as a quick history lesson on the popular dance. No experience necessary!

Craft Beer Expo

From 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. this Saturday at Fatty’s Pub and Grille, there will be a Craft Beer Expo. Patrons will be able to enjoy over 40 different craft and imported beers as well as an appetizer buffet. For those who enjoy whiskey, there will also be a small whiskey tasting featuring Single Barrel Whiskeys.

NIU Women’s Basketball vs Central Michigan

Starting at 1 p.m. at the Convocation Center, NIU Women’s Basketball will be taking on Central Michigan. Admission is free to NIU students. If you cannot make it there are available streams as well.

After-hours Concert: Jazz in Progress

From 6:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m. Saturday the DeKalb Public Library will be hosting an after-hours concert which will include different styles of big band and modern jazz. The concert is free and open to all.

In a Word Play

At 7:30 p.m. Saturday night at the Sally Stevens Players Theatre, the NIU school of Theatre and Dance will be performing Lauren Yee’s “in a word”. The play directed by Kay Martinovich and Emily Vitrano, follows the 2-year anniversary of the disappearance of Fiona and Guy’s son Tristan. Fiona and Guy wrestle with the loss of their adopted son as Yee explores what it takes to re-connect after the loss of a relationship. Admission is $7 for adults and seniors, free for NIU students.