Huskies finish 12th at Mason Rudolph Championship

DeKALB – NIU men’s golf struggled at the Mason Rudolph Championship placing 12th out of 15 teams. Sophomore Ben Sluzas led the way, finishing tied for 33rd place. 

The Huskies opened the tournament shooting 301 – 17-over par – in the first round, their worst round of the day. The Huskies bounced back in the second round, shooting their tournament low 280. NIU rounded out the tournament shooting 296 in the third round. 

Sluzas’ first round performance was his worst, shooting a 75. Sluzas finished shooting a tournament low 70 in the second round and finishing with a score of 71 in the third round.

Finishing in 33rd place, Sluzas tied with the University of North Carolina at Charlotte sophomore Conor Gough. Both Sluzas and Gough shot a 316, finishing the tournament three- over par. 

Graduate student Tommy Dunsire was the Huskies’ second-best golfer, finishing the tournament tied for 46th place. Dunsire opened the tournament shooting a 76 on day one and shot a 67 in the second round – three strokes higher than his season low. 

Dunsire finished the second round in 25th place, but fell to 46th place following a score of 75 in the third round. 

Senior Zach Place had NIU’s third-best finish, tying for 54th place. Place golfed a consistent three rounds, shooting a 73 in the first two rounds followed by a 74 in the third round. 

Graduate student Campbell Wolf finished the tournament tied for 66th place, shooting a 77 in the first round, a 71 in the second round – his tournament low – and a 76 in the third round.

Freshman Ian Bruchhauser rounded out the Huskies lineup with a tie for 68th place. Bruchhauser’s worst round was the first, shooting a 77. Bruchhauser’s tournament low was a 72 in the second round and he finished the tournament shooting a 76 in the third round. 

The Huskies head to Finkbine Golf Course in Iowa City, Iowa for the Hawkeye Invitational hosted by the University of Iowa. The tournament is an all-day event starting Saturday and finishing on Sunday. Live stats will be available on GolfStat.