SOTD announces production list: New material, classics

Patrick Murphy
A picture of a sign directing to where the School of Theater and Dance is located.

DeKALB – With the 2023-2024 school year upon us, the School of Theatre and Dance has released its show list for the year. According to the SOTD, the schedule includes both classic plays and new adaptations. The first production will open on Sept. 29. 

“Rage Play”

This piece was written  by actor and playwright Nandita Shenoy. This dark comedy was inspired by the #MeToo movement. This story tells the struggle of three women dealing with the man they killed, who seems to continually come back to life. This play deals with issues of domestic violence and sexual assault. 

The play runs from Sept. 29 – Oct. 1 with more showings Oct. 5 to Oct. 7. The play will be performed in the Sally Stevens Players Theatre.

The Caucasian Chalk Circle”

This play was written by German playwright Bertolt Brecht. The writer uses the and is told in the style of a play within a play; this device is used to tell different stories  that forms an interconnected narrative.

The first story is a dispute between fruit farmers and goat farmers set in the Soviet Union at the end of World War II. The second is the story of a girl who saves a baby boy, named Michael, then becomes a better parent to him than his wealthy parents. 

The play will take place in the Black Box Theatre and runs from Oct. 13 to Oct. 15. Additional performances will take place on Oct. 19 to 21. 

A Midsummer Night’s Dream”

A classic staple for any play schedule is “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” by William Shakespeare. The comedy focuses on two couples who seek to be with the one their hearts desire. It is a fantastic tale of magic, fairies, marriage, love and betrayal. 

The show will be performed in the Black Box Theatre from Nov. 10 to Nov. 12 with encore shows Nov. 16 to Nov. 18.

FALL DANCE CONCERT

Each year, the School of Dance hosts a concert to showcase the students’ work. This year’s theme has yet to be announced. 

The show will be performed in the O’Connell Theatre on Nov. 30 to Dec. 3. 

“Anxious People!”

This play was written by Carol Lee. The production explores what it means to be anxious. It is a dark comedy that features issues concerning depression, anxiety and mental health. 

The show runs from Feb. 9 to Feb. 11. It will be performed in the Sally Stevens Players Theatre with encore performances taking place on Feb. 15 to Feb. 17. 

Witch”

This play was written by Jen Silverman and is inspired by a 1621 play called “The Witch of Edmonton,” written by William Rowley, Thomas Dekker and John Ford. In this more modern twist, the devil attempts to tempt town folks with making their dark desires come true. This dramatic comedy attempts to look at the worth we place on our souls. 

The show will run from Feb. 23 in the Black Box Theatre. Repeat showings will take place on Feb. 29 to March 2

Something, Somewhere, Somehow”

This comedic  play was written by Alexander Perez. The story follows Lucille, a Broadway star who is attempting to switch to the bigger parts of show business and the struggles she faces along the way. This production will be making its first full run at NIU

The play will take place on April 5 to April 7 in the Black Box Theatre with more showings taking place on April 11 to April 13.

ACTORS SHOWCASE

This academic year’s School of Theatre student showcase will take place on April 18 to April 20. 

This show will highlight the talent of BFA acting students. 

SPRING DANCE CONCERT

The annual Spring Dance Concert will take place from April 25 to April 28. The theme for this year’s event has yet to be announced.

The show will be held at the Stevens Building in the O’Connell Theatre. 

TICKETS 

Following previous years, tickets must be purchased online prior to any show on NIU’s College of Visual and Performing Arts’ website. Student tickets are free. Tickets are $17 for adults, $15 for seniors and $9 for non-NIU students.