Huskies, Golden Grizzlies draw after defensive standoff

Mingda Wu
Then-freshman Amber Best in possession of the ball during the women’s soccer match against Western Illinois on Sept. 9, 2022. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star).

DeKALB – A scoreless draw with Oakland University defined NIU women’s soccer second home game of its 2023 campaign.

The Huskies and Golden Grizzlies were locked in a defensive battle Sunday, as neither team could score. NIU didn’t allow a shot from Oakland in the first 45 minutes.

The Golden Grizzlies finished the game with one shot attempt and no shots on goal.

Freshman forward Tyra King recorded the Huskies’ lone shot on goal after a cross from sophomore forward Amber Best. In the 33rd minute, junior defender Lea Gruennagel was inches away from her second goal of the season after missing a shot off the right post of the goal.

Despite the scoring drought, Gruennagel was still confident the Huskies controlled the game.

“I think we dominated them,” Gruennagel said. “We had I think 10 shots, and we should have scored, but the luck just wasn’t on our side.”

Senior forward Kierah Meier almost broke the tie in the 44th minute after ricocheting a shot off the crossbar. NIU finished with 10 shots total and one shot on goal.

“Yes, there are fine margins in the attacking third,” said NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill. “You know, it’s obviously where the money is made in terms of being able to score … So, I think it’s just maybe a little bit more composure. In front of the goal, girls (need to) slow their mind down and not be so frantic.”

O’Neill believed his team met the challenge Oakland presented but hoped the Huskies’ effort would result in a different outcome.

“Really pleased with the effort and the application, thought we were the better team from start to finish,” O’Neill said. “Just a little frustrated with our end product, but I thought the girls worked extremely hard.”

Oakland freshman goalkeeper Julia Zangerl recorded one save on 10 shots faced in the draw. Huskie redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill recorded no saves on one shot faced in 90 minutes of action.

NIU improves to 2-1-1 on the season and has yet to play a conference foe.

The Huskies will face Indiana University next at 6 p.m.  Sunday at the Bill Armstrong Stadium in Bloomington, Indiana.