Week of Welcome ends, classes begin

Nyla Owens
Students on Sunday sitting at the president’s picnic. The president’s picnic was an opportunity for students to meet NIU President Lisa Freeman while participating activities such as volleyball, kayaking and outdoor games. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

DeKALB The last day of the Week of Welcome wrapped up Sunday with the annual President’s Picnic.

Students gathered outside of the East Lagoon and participated in games such as volleyball, bags and Kanjam, while others paddled in kayaks and canoes.

Student Organizations also did some tabling including Reserve Officers’ Training Corps, Outdoor Adventures and WeCare4NIU.

President Lisa Freeman was in attendance to welcome students to NIU and provide one last hurrah before classes began.

Freeman said that her favorite part of the event was getting the opportunity to interact with students.

“Talking to students about their hopes and dreams, why they came to NIU, where they want to be in five years, I think that’s just energizing and inspiring,” Freeman said. “I love to see folks enjoying the lagoon and playing games and breaking bread together. It’s great when the community joins us and helps our students feel a part of DeKalb.”

President Freeman said that she believes the upcoming semester will be successful as students attend their classes and get involved with the Huskie community.

Many students that attended the picnic said that they really enjoyed the activities and are looking forward to reuniting with old friends along with meeting new ones throughout the year.

Lexi Raia, a senior photography major, said that the weather correlated nicely with the mood of the event.

“It’s super nice out, so it’s really nice seeing all the new Huskies outside,” Raia said. “It’s my last year, so I’m excited to make new projects and see new faces.”

New friends were also found at the picnic, as students stepped out of their zones and mingled with fresh faces.

Ethan Wilk, a junior engineering major, said he enjoyed gathering with all of the students and is looking forward to the fall semester. 

“Honestly, just being able to interact with all the different students and a bunch of different organizations that are showing up has been a really good time,” Wilk said. “I’m looking forward to getting back into my classes because I’m getting to the upper levels of my classes where it’s really focusing more on my major, and I can actually excel and see how it’s going.”