Rojek shines, Huskies blanked by Irish

NIU’s offense stumbles in loss to Notre Dame
Mingda Wu
Then-junior midfielder Eddie Knight (right) nagivates the ball against a BGSU defender during Oct, 25th, 2022 match at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A phenomenal performance from senior goalkeeper Jakub Rojek wasn’t enough to push NIU men’s soccer (1-2) past the Notre Dame (2-0-1) Fighting Irish, who defeated the Huskies 1-0 Friday. 

Rojek had a total of 10 saves after Notre Dame tallied 26 shots and 11 shots on goal. 

FIGHTING IRISH SCORE EARLY

The Fighting Irish were firing on all cylinders early. Junior forward Matthew Roou scored within the first 15 minutes, assisted by senior defender Paddy Burns. The Fighting Irish started the first half with 14 shots and six shots on goal which outweighed the Huskies’ defense. 

14 fouls and four yellow cards were also called in the first half. 

“I wouldn’t say that we played defense too aggressively, but the refs were tight the whole game with their yellows and foul calls,” said men’s soccer coach Ryan Swan.

The refs called an early controversial yellow card on senior midfielder Eddie Knight at the 17:12 mark in the first half. The Huskie sideline received a yellow card in protest of the yellow card on Knight. The Fighting Irish also received a yellow card at the 29:26 mark and the 40:46 mark right before the end of the first half.

STAGNANT SECOND HALF

The second half was similar to the first half – a tight defensive battle with little offense. 

Rojek totalled five more saves in the second half to keep the Huskies within striking distance.

The Huskies offense could not score but created more scoring opportunities than their previous match against Memphis University (3-1 loss).

“You know Jakub (Rojek) gave us an opportunity to stay in the game; and despite the loss, we competed much better, we were sharper and more composed than the last game against Memphis,” Swan said.

The Huskies return home to play Aurora University at 7 p.m. Monday at the NIU Soccer and Track & Field Complex. The game will be streamed on NIU All-Access with live stats available on SIDEARM Sports.