Poll: Which NIU event are you looking forward to?

Northern Star File Photo
The NIU sign stands in the heart of campus. Students have a lot of events to look forward to this semester. (Northern Star File photo)

NIU offers a plethora of events throughout the year with the main events being Family Weekend and Homecoming. Both events offer something for everyone at no cost to students, which is great for students that want to explore both on and off-campus. So, which event are students most looking forward to?

FAMILY WEEKEND

Family Weekend occurs every fall semester and is a great opportunity for students’ families to explore campus. During Family Weekend, students’ families can come to campus with the option to stay in the Hotel at Holmes. 

Although the schedule of events for this year has not been announced yet, in years past NIU has offered canoeing at NIU’s East Lagoon, bingo or even just playing pool at Holmes Student Center.

For students families that are interested in staying at the Hotel at Holmes can book on their website. The cost of a standard king room or standard twin room is $84.99 per night, according to the Hotel at Holmes booking.

This year, Family Weekend takes place from Sept. 22 through 24. Students can stay up to date with the schedule of events for Family Weekend through the Family Weekend’s website.

HOMECOMING

Homecoming also occurs each fall semester in October and is another great opportunity for students to explore campus and find events to attend. 

This year will mark NIU’s 116th Homecoming, according to the Homecoming website. This Homecoming celebration will be followed by 8 days of celebration that take place from Oct. 8 through 15.

The main activity that takes place is NIU’s Homecoming football game. This year, the Huskies take on Ohio University at 2:30 p.m. on Oct. 14 at the Huskie Stadium, according to NIU Athletics.

However, if you’re not a sports fan, no need to worry. There are plenty of other homecoming events – both on and off-campus – that may peak your interest. Events range from a block party in downtown DeKalb, a trivia contest and the annual Homecoming Kick Off event.

If students want to stay up to date on Homecoming events, they can do so through the Homecoming events calendar.

Aside from Family Weekend and Homecoming, NIU offers many other events throughout the year. To stay up-to-date on NIU activities, you can browse the NIU events calendar. The calendar has all activities listed by day and time and is a great way to discover new places to go to. NIU offers something for everyone, however, at the end of the day it’s just a matter of personal preference.

This poll has ended.

Sorry, there was an error loading this poll.