Women’s golf prepares for 2023-2024 season

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Then-junior Jasmine Ly shoots at the MAC Tournament from April 21 to April 23. Ly tied the NIU record for lowest round score at the Johnie Imes Invitational and earned MAC Golfer of the Week. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Coming off a second-place finish in last season’s MAC Golf Championship, NIU women’s golf looks to start the 2023-2024 season strong with three All-MAC golfers returning. 

Senior Jasmine Ly, senior Emily Romancew and graduate student Sydney Naro are back for another season to lead the Huskies. 

During the 2022-2023 season, Ly recorded six top-10 individual placements, including a second place finish at the Falcon Florida Classic. Ly led the Huskies with an average of 73.54 strokes per round and was named MAC Women’s Golfer of the Week twice

Last season, Naro notched three top-10 individual placements and finished in first place in the Falcon Florida Classic. Naro was second on the team in strokes per round averaging 75.12 and earned two MAC Women’s Golfer of the Week awards. 

Highlighted by a first place finish in the Falcon Florida Classic and a third place finish in the Johnie Imes Invitational, the Huskies earned six top 5 placements in the 10 tournaments they competed in the 2022-2023 season. 

The Huskies are competing in nine tournaments this season and four during the fall. In September, the Huskies will compete in the Redbird Invitational at Illinois State, the Mary Fossum Invitational at Michigan State and the Johnie Imes Invitational at the University of Missouri. 

In October, the Huskies will travel to Florida International University to compete in the FIU Pat Bradley Invitational. 

The Huskies first tournament takes place all day Sunday and Monday at the Weibring Golf Club in Normal, Illinois.