Business Spotlight: Barb City Laundry

Editor’s note: This article is not sponsored by Barb City Laundry and is not an endorsement from the Northern Star as an organization.

Barb City Laundry, formerly known as Laundry Lounge, has been chosen as Northern Star’s business spotlight. The laundromat is open from 9 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. seven days a week at 818 W. Lincoln Highway.

The laundromat is owned by NIU alum Brian Smith. 20 years ago prior to owning the business, Smith had worked for the previous owner.

One major feature that sets this establishment apart from other laundromat are its four tanning beds.

The price for tanning in the less powerful tanning beds is $8 dollars for a maximum of 20 minutes of use and $10 for more powerful tanning beds with a maximum of 15 minutes of use. The company also offers a number of packages and deals for multiple tanning sessions.

Other amenities include a lounge seating area with TVs and free Wi-Fi. The laundromat also has a number of folding tables and seating for children.

They also offer a drop-off laundry service for $1.50 a pound. This service includes washing, drying and folding. The laundromat has a punch card system for washing – every seven loads of laundry washed equals one free load of washing or drying.