Huskies silenced at home by Blue Demons

McGill gives up own goal in loss
Mingda Wu
Then-junior midfielder Abby Zipse (center) passing the ball to forward and then freshman teammate Amber Best on Oct. 16, 2022 at the NIU Track and Field & Soccer Complex. (Mingda Wu | Northern Star)

DeKALB – An early own goal and a stifling DePaul University defense extinguished any hope of an NIU women’s soccer home victory after the Blue Demons defeated the Huskies 1-0 Thursday.

Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill gave up an own goal in the 29th minute of the match after failing to corral a cross from a DePaul player. Her costly mistake proved to be the winning and the only goal of the game.

“Frustrated with the matter of defeat, the way we conceded the goal,” said NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill. “Sadie’s been brilliant for us all year, but these things happen.”

DEFENSIVE CLINIC

Despite the defensive blunder, the Huskies only allowed one shot from the Blue Demons.

“Overall, our defense was pretty strong this game besides the one slip up,” McGill said. “I think after the play my thoughts were ‘as long as we can stay strong in the back, we’ll have good opportunities.’ We got a little bit unlucky, but the team played well.”

O’Neill has been pleased with the defensive effort this season despite the team losing two of their last three matches.

“Defensively, we’re in a good place,” O’Neill said. “We’ve conceded five goals in seven games. Again, today’s goal really isn’t a goal conceded in terms of the manner of it.”

NONEXISTENT OFFENSE

The Huskies were unable to manufacture goals despite outshooting DePaul 7-6. Sophomore forward Amber Best, freshman forward Tyra King and graduate forward Sahara Zingano led the team in shots with two apiece.

King and Best both tallied one shot on goal while Zingano had two.

Best believes that her team needs to take more risks in the open field when the opportunities arise.

“I just think we need to take our chances when we can,” Best said. “They don’t come often, so do whatever you can to get the ball in the back of the net. It doesn’t matter how it ends up there, a goal is a goal.”

DePaul graduate goalkeeper Elena Milam recorded four saves on seven shots faced. Senior midfielder Beth Smyth accounted for the lone shot by the Blue Demons.

UP NEXT

The Huskies look ahead to their first MAC game of the 2023 season as they will face Western Michigan University next at 3 p.m. Sept. 21 in Kalamazoo, Michigan. Live stats and streaming links are not yet available.