Hang out in DeKalb this weekend

The Open Door Coffee Truck parks at the Taste of DeKalb. The Taste of DeKalb is one of the many fun events happening in DeKalb this weekend. (Northern Star File Photo)

If you’re bored and have no weekend plans for the weekend, the local DeKalb community has you covered. Here are just a few of the fun events being offered in the area this weekend.

FAMILY WEEKEND

The annual Huskies Family Weekend takes place this weekend, with a variety of events for NIU students to enjoy with their families.

On Friday, families can use the discount code “NIUFAMILY” on the Egyptian Theatre’s website for $5 off tickets for “Penn & Teller Present: The Foolers.” The show will be an evening of magic and fun inspired by television personalities Penn and Teller. 

Also from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday, students and their families can participate in a free mini golf tournament at the Founders Memorial Library.

Additionally, discounted tickets for the NIU vs. Tulsa football game will be available for $18 Saturday. The tickets can be purchased with the discount code “FAMILY23” on the Huskie Football website.

TWO NEW ART EXHIBITIONS

Two art exhibitions, “Dialogue” and “The Remaining, Mourn…” will be open Thursday at the NIU Art Museum. This weekend, the gallery will be open from noon to 6 p.m. Friday and noon to 3 p.m. Saturday.

“Dialogue” is an exhibition centered around the initiative of starting conversations and promoting awareness and understanding. On the other hand, “The Remaining, Mourn…” is a group exhibition that expresses nine artists’ personal experiences with grief and loss through the use of tactile works of art, providing a unique and immersive sensory experience for attendees.

43RD ANNUAL DEKALB CORN CLASSIC

The 43rd Annual DeKalb Corn Classic takes place Sunday morning. The event will consist of a 10k run, beginning at 8:15 a.m., as well as a 5k which will begin at 8:30 a.m. The route will both begin and end in Downtown DeKalb, taking runners through a variety of local destinations including the Kishwaukee River and NIU’s campus.

TASTE OF DEKALB

The Taste of DeKalb festival will commence after the Corn Classic at Frank Van Buer Plaza in Downtown DeKalb. 

Food vendors at the event will include Big D’s Hot Dogs, Open Door Coffee and Jah Luv Jamaica. Taste of DeKalb will begin at 9 a.m. and conclude at 3 p.m.