Coit, Williams receive preseason All-MAC honors

Sean Reed
NIU junior guard David Coit (11) hangs his head after a Huskie foul just before the half on March 9. Coit was selected to the preseason All-MAC First Team on Thursday. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB — With just over a month until the 2023-24 season opener, junior guard David Coit and senior guard Keshawn Williams received preseason All-MAC recognition from the Almanac  – a yearly publication containing facts and information on college sports. 

Coit, a Third Team All-MAC and Second Team All-District honoree, was named to the preseason All-MAC First Team. Coit enters the 2023 season on the heels of a breakout sophomore season, where his team-leading 16.9 points per game (PPG) ranked as the eighth-best in the MAC. As a playmaker, Coit distributed 3.3 assists per game en route to 13th in the conference. 

Williams earned the title of Preseason All-MAC Second Team following an injury-burdened 2022 campaign. Prior to the injury, William’s 17.9 PPG, 4.7 rebounds and 2.4 assists, all ranked top-25 in the MAC.  

According to the Almanac, an anonymous poll of coaches across the league listed NIU as a sleeper team for the upcoming season. 

The Almanac also predicted the Huskies to finish fifth in the MAC.

NIU men’s basketball begins practices next week, as they prepare for their season opener on Nov. 1. The Huskies will face Illinois Wesleyan University for the first exhibition game of the 2023-2024 season.