Suicide prevention needs to be talked about more

Maddie Rock
The illustrated blue center character is having a difficult time due to their mental health, and the purple and green characters decided to walk over to provide moral support. It is important to remember to check in on loved ones and utilize the many mental health resources available. (Maddie Rock | Northern Star)

September marks Suicide Prevention Month, reminding us of the importance of addressing mental health struggles and discovering the resources available for those in need.

Due to life’s obligations such as school, work and trying to maintain a social life, it can be hard to focus on one’s mental health. The decline of mental health comes with an increase of anxiety and depression, which can cause people to feel lost or isolated. 

However, it is crucial to remember help is available, even when it may seem elusive. 

Unfortunately, an alarming number of people take their lives each year. More than 700,000 people die from suicide each year, according to the World Health Organization. This is a significant number of people that are gone too soon which shows the importance of utilizing resources and asking for help.

Suicide is one of the leading causes of death in the United States, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The number of deaths by suicide increased 11% from 2020 to 2021, according to the CDC

Throughout the world, there are many organizations that are available to help those who are struggling.

The Suicide and Crisis Lifeline is a crucial resource to help people who are struggling. The 988 lifeline provides 24/7, free and confidential support for people in distress, prevention and crisis resources 

For people that may not like calling or can express their emotions better through writing, another resource is the Crisis Text Line. Individuals have the option to text HOME to 741741 and connect with a volunteer Crisis Counselor, according to Crisis Text Line

Crisis Text Line is a great resource for helping people that may be struggling. Knowing that there is a person available to talk no matter what time of day can help individuals work through their emotions. The Crisis Text Line is also beneficial for those who may not be able to verbally express their thoughts and feelings. Mental health resources are tools that show help is just a phone call away. 

Services such as consultations, counseling and crisis resources are provided to NIU students at no cost through NIU’s Counseling and Consultation Services. CCS provides comprehensive mental health support to students currently enrolled at NIU and have many different services, presentations and programs, according to its website. The provided services are beneficial to NIU students who may be struggling with their mental health or with the stress that school and life can bring.

Tim Paquette, director of CCS, explained that there tends to be a stereotype when asking someone if they are having suicidal thoughts.

“It’s important that people know that when it comes to suicidal thoughts or plans that people have, asking someone if they are having those thoughts does not put those thoughts in someone’s head,” Paquette said. “People either already have those thoughts, or they don’t, and asking the question in that direct way can really open up honest conversations.” 

Communicating and checking in with family and friends to see how they are doing is extremely crucial. By being there to support or even just to listen, we can have thoughtful and honest conversations and encourage people to open up about their feelings.

However, the availability of resources means nothing if people are unaware of them. Raising awareness about the existence and accessibility of mental health support services is crucial in ensuring that those in need can access the assistance they require. 

“Often, the hardest step to getting help is the first step. CCS hears students say all the time that they wished they would have reached out for help sooner,” Paquette said. “They also wish that they didn’t wait as long as they did to schedule an initial consultation.” 

Society must actively promote mental health education and destigmatize seeking help. Open conversations can lead to increased awareness, which can dispel the myth that asking for help is a sign of weakness.

Although it may be difficult at times, it’s important to set aside time for self-care. Self-care can consist of many activities such as exercise, journaling or even talking to friends. After all, we all need a break from stressors, whether that be school, work or personal matters. 

There are numerous resources available to help people. By shedding light on these resources, we pave the way for hope, healing and resilience in the face of darkness.