Reboot of hit sitcom ‘Frasier’ in the works

From left) Kelsey Grammar as Frasier Crane, Jess Salgueiro as Eve and Jack Cutmore-Scott as Freddy sit on a couch in a scene from the ’90s sitcom “Frasier.” The series is getting a reboot which will feature most of the original cast. (Chris Haston/Paramount+ via AP)

“Frasier,” the latest in a seemingly endless line of sitcom reboots, is coming soon to Paramount+.

The original run of “Frasier” began in 1993 and concluded after 11 seasons in 2004. However, the series traces its roots back even earlier to 1984, when the character Dr. Frasier Crane, played by Kelsey Grammer, made his first appearance on “Cheers.” Grammer would become a permanent cast member, ultimately getting his own spinoff when “Cheers” ended.

With a total of 20 seasons of television under the beloved characters belt, this latest incarnation, which is also produced by Grammer, will have some big shoes to fill.

The original series followed Frasier Crane, a popular radio psychiatrist in Seattle, as well as his friends, family and coworkers. 

The upcoming revival was developed by Joe Cristalli, who had previously worked on sitcoms like “How I Met Your Mother” and “Raising Hope,” and Chris Harris, who does not have any previous writing credits.

Despite the anticipation surrounding the premiere, longtime fans may be disappointed to find out core cast members from the original series like David Hyde Pierce, who played Frasier’s brother; Niles Peri Gilpin, who played Frasier’s radio producer Roz; and Jane Leaves, who played his father’s physical therapist, will not be returning. Additionally, John Mahoney, who played Crane’s father Martin, died in 2018.

Instead of reuniting the former cast, “Frasier” will follow the titular character as he returns back to Boston, Massachusetts, to start yet another new chapter of his life with his now-adult son Frederick. 

While the reboot has potential, it’s hard to imagine it living up to the original with only one original cast member returning. As great of a character as Frasier is, the show thrived off of the dynamics he had with other characters. If the developers have any hope of compensating for the absence of so many beloved characters, the reboot will need to have strong writing that hearkens back to the farcical, screwball humor of the original.

“Frasier” premieres Oct. 12 on Paramount+.