Women’s soccer falls to Bobcats, extend winless streak

Melody Elbel
Graduate forward Sahara Zingano (22) speeds toward the Toledo goal with control of the ball. On Sept. 24, the Huskies tied with Toledo 1-1. (Melody Elbel | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A first-half offensive onslaught from Ohio University helped the Bobcats extend the Huskies’ winless streak to seven. The Bobcats defeated the Huskies 3-1 Thursday.

After scoring in the second minute of the game, the Huskies could not find the back of the net for the remaining 88 minutes of Thursday’s match. Sophomore midfielder Aubrey Robertson was responsible for the Huskies’ quick strike.

“It was really surprising,” Robertson said. “I’ve never scored from a corner kick, and, especially being moved from midfield to center back, I was kind of losing my hope in scoring a goal. So I just went crazy. I saw everyone run towards me, and I didn’t even know it went in.”

Ohio senior forward Shae Robertson led the Bobcats in scoring with two goals, both occurring in the first 25 minutes of the match. Freshman forward Jaimason Brooker followed up Robertson’s goals with a score of her own in the 26th minute.

A TALE OF TWO HALVES

Despite the trio of goals in the first half, the Bobcats were unable to manufacture goals in the second half. Redshirt senior goalkeeper Sadie McGill saved four shots compared to her one save in the first half.

NIU women’s soccer head coach Michael O’Neill praised the Huskies’ defensive performance in the final 45 minutes of the match but understands that the effort needs to be there for the full 90.

“I think in the second half the defenders and the goalkeeper stepped up a little bit more,” O’Neill said. “We were able to keep that shut out (in the second half), but, you know, that doesn’t win you games. It’s 90 minutes.”

LINGERING OFFENSIVE STRUGGLES

Graduate forward Sahara Zingano led the Huskies in shots on Thursday, tallying six total, one on goal but no goals. Despite the lack of production, Zingano believes the team is on the cusp of finding its winning way.

“I’m disappointed,” Zingano said. “But, I think there’s a lot of positives to take out of the game …… I think our attacking entries, and us getting into the final third., I think we’re making a lot of progress. It’s nothing to keep our heads down about. So I think if we keep working on that, I think we’ll continue to find success.”

NIU recorded 12 shots and six on goal, while Ohio tallied 13 shots and eight on goal  the Huskies did not capitalize on any opportunities generated.

“We probably created four or five very good chances, which is great,” O’Neill said. “That’s a good starting point. The girls have got to be consistent with that mindset because ……  we’re going to need those moments to win games later on in the season.”

UP NEXT

The Huskies have not won a game since Aug. 24 against Eastern Illinois University. NIU has dropped to 2-5-3 and 0-2-1 in conference, good enough for 10th in the MAC. The Huskies have eight remaining conference games in the 2023 season

“I think there is an urgency there,” O’Neill said. “There is going to be a mindset of taking chances when you get them and then, also, being better defensively. We’re actually not that far off. We’re doing some good things here.”

The Huskies’ will face the University of Akron at noon Sunday at FirstEnergy Stadium. The game will be streamed on ESPN+, and live stats will be available via SideArm Stats.