NIU reports a spike in rape and domestic violence

A do not cross line is place in font of police lights. The Clery act requires a yearly report be disclosed that includes crime statistics on incidents that happen on or near campus. NIU released their report Thursday. (Getty Images)
Getty Images

DeKALB – Reported cases of rape and domestic violence saw a spike on NIU’s campus last year. 

The NIU Police Department’s Annual Security and Fire Safety Report outlines crimes for the university under the categories of primary crimes, Violence Against Women Act crimes, hate crimes, and arrests and disciplinary action referrals, according to the report

The Clery Act requires all colleges and universities to disclose an annual report that outlines crime statistics that happen on or near its campuses. 

Crimes on the report are split by the location the crime was committed: on campus, residence halls, public property or non-campus areas. There were 16 cases of rape, 7 cases of fondling, 37 cases of domestic violence, 5 cases of motor vehicle theft and 7 cases of stalking reported on campus in 2022. 

There were a total of 20, 7, and 6 rape cases reported in 2022, 2021 and 2020 respectively. Cases of reported Burglary went down to 2, from 8 the previous year and 3 in 2020.

Non-campus areas include any buildings or properties owned or controlled by student organizations recognized by the university, like fraternities or sororities, or any property used in direct relation to NIU and is frequently used by students. There were 4 cases of rape, 2 cases of domestic violence, and no cases of fondling, motor vehicle theft or stalking reported in non-campus areas. 

Last year, there were 5 cases of motor vehicle theft and 3 cases of arson.

There were no crimes reported in the past 3 years on the Naperville, Rockford or Lorado Taft campuses. 

There were 8 fire-related incidents in 2022.