DeKalb celebrates National Coffee Day

Josephine Dunmore
Emerson Gaines, a barista in training on Tuesday, working the register at Cast Iron Coffee, 901 Lucinda Ave., Suite D. Cast Iron is one of the many coffee shops near campus. (Josephine Dunmore | Northern Star)

DeKALB – At the Starbucks in the Holmes Student Center, students studying near the coffee shop type away on their laptops. To fuel their study sessions, students use caffeine-rich coffee.

National Coffee Day celebrates the energizing drink every year in the United States on Sept. 29.

Students like Corinne Francis, a first-year illustration major, said she uses coffee to help her stay awake.

“I would say normally just to stay up,” Francis said. “Sometimes I’m working long hours in the studio at night, so I need to get through my morning classes.”

NIU has many local coffee options.

Some of these options include the Starbucks in the Holmes Student Center, Cast Iron Coffee at 901 Lucinda Ave., and Einstein Bros. Bagels in the lower level of the Founders Memorial Library. 

Other stores around DeKalb will also be offering coffee deals in light of the holiday.

STARBUCKS

In the Holmes Student Center, Ann Galleta, a manager at Starbucks, said Starbucks tries to provide a safe environment to hang out and enjoy drinks.

“We hope that when you are in line, you are having fun because we are having fun serving you,” Galleta said.  

Some of Starbucks’ signature drinks include its lattes and frappuccinos, like the Mocha Cookie Crumble frappuccinos and its frozen refreshers. Its fall menu features the pumpkin spice latte and the pumpkin cream cold brew.

For Brandon Patton, a senior human resources major, said he likes to keep his order plain and simple.

“If I go to something like Starbucks, black coffee is usually what I go for,” Patton said. “If I go to something like Dunkin, where I know the black coffee is not going to be as good, I’ll usually get something with cream.”

Galleta said Starbucks will offer a free shot of espresso in celebration of National Coffee Day.  

CAST IRON COFFEE

Cast Iron Coffee is a smaller coffee shop that offers study space lined with wood paneling and industrial decor.

Cast Iron Coffee provides the DeKalb coffee scene with many options, including its hot espressos and cappuccinos. The shop’s signature drinks vary from lavender tea lattes to birthday cake lattes. Its fall options include a hot cup of apple cider and a pumpkin pie latte.

Laura Goffney, a manager at Cast Iron Coffee, said the staff at the shop appreciate the customers who support the store.

“We’re not a chain, we really love our customers. We value the people that come in, and we hope to give them a really good quality product,” Goffney said. “I think that our baristas do a really good job of making the drinks really well. They put a lot of pride in the work that they do.”

Cast Iron Coffee will offer $1 drip coffee and $2 iced coffee to celebrate National Coffee Day.

MORE COFFEE CHOICES

Dunkin Donuts will offer Dunkin Rewards members a free coffee with a purchase.

Casey’s will offer a free coffee of any size to Casey’s Reward Members.

Via the Circle K app, users can get a free cup of coffee until Oct. 2 at participating locations.