Woodill earns MAC Special Teams Player of the Week

Nyla Owens
Redshirt sophomore kicker Jake Seibert (30) practices for field goal kicks while redshirt sophomore kicker Kanon Woodill (92) holds the ball in place during the NIU game against SIU Sept 9. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU redshirt sophomore kicker Kanon Woodill earned his second career MAC West Special Teams Player of the Week award for his performance in NIU football’s (3-4, 2-1 MAC) 23-13 win over the Ohio University Bobcats (5-2, 2-1 MAC) Saturday. 

Woodill was perfect in the Huskies upset win over the Bobcats, going 5-for-5 on kicks and accounting for 11 of NIU’s 23 points. Woodill’s 11 points tied a career high. 

Woodill was 2-for-2 on extra points and 3-for-3 on field goals. He connected on field goals from 31 yards, 37 yards and 32 yards.

Woodill’s first MAC West Special Teams Player of the Week honor came in Week 8 of the 2021 season in a 39-38 victory over the Central Michigan University Chippewas in which he nailed a 26-yard game-winning field goal. Woodill also scored 11 points in that game.

Since taking over the starting kicker job in Week 5 against the University of Toledo, Woodill is 13-for-13 on extra points and 5-for-6 on field goals. 

Woodill is the second straight Huskie to notch a MAC West Division Player of the Week award, following junior running back Antario Brown’s 280 rushing yard, four rushing touchdown performance against the University of Akron last week. 

NIU’s next game will be against the Eastern Michigan University Eagles at 2:30 p.m. Saturday at Huskie Stadium. Live stats will be available via SideArm Stats