City to unveil new mural celebrating belonging

(Courtesy of the City of DeKalb)
Artist Danielle Casali and a volunteer work on a mosaic of the Kishwaukee River made using pieces of mirror. A ribbon cutting for the mural on the south wall of DeKalb City Hall will be held at 5:30 p.m. Oct. 19. (Courtesy of the City of DeKalb)

DeKALB – Citizens are encouraged to come together for the unveiling of DeKalb’s latest public art project.

A new mural will be unveiled 5:30 p.m., Oct. 19 at DeKalb city hall, 164 E. Lincoln Highway. The mural, created by artist Danielle Casali and volunteers, will be unveiled with a ribbon ceremony open to the public.

The mural is adorned on the south wall of DeKalb city hall. The mural features the Kishwaukee River made of pieces of mirrored glass, leading toward a sunset.

The theme the mural is supposed to represent is belonging, according to the press release. With this theme in mind, Casali gathered input from two community meetings, created the mural’s design and led volunteers in its creation.

Casali was chosen by Citizens’ Community Enhancement Commission and City Council to create the new mural. According to a press release, Casali has created mosaic projects across Northern Illinois.

Creation of the project began in April with volunteers breaking pieces of mirrored glass for the mosaic piece. After the mosaic pieces were arranged on the south wall, Casali with the assistance of volunteers painted the remaining portions of the mural.

During the ribbon cutting ceremony, Casali and city officials will be present and give speeches on the new art installation.

Funding for the project comes from a portion of the $50,000 Hometown Grant awarded to DeKalb’s Enhancement Commission by T-Mobile.