Former NIU kicker dies in car crash

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Former NIU football kicker Mathew Sims gets ready for a last-second field goal attempt against the Ohio University Bobcats on Dec. 2, 2011. Sims, NIU’s all-time leader in extra-point attempts and makes, died in a car crash on Friday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

Former NIU football kicker Mathew Sims died at 1:10 p.m. on Friday at Hannibal Regional Hospital. He was 31 years old.

Sims was born on Nov. 8, 1991, in Hannibal, Missouri. He passed away in a car crash in Hannibal.

Sims is survived by his parents Bob Sims and Lynne Sims, as well as his brother Casey Sims. 

Sims played at NIU for four years from 2010-2013. His most famous moment as a Huskie came in 2011 when he nailed a 33-yard field goal as time expired to clinch a 23-20 win over the Ohio University Bobcats to win the MAC Championship. It was the Huskies’ first MAC title since 1983.

Sims finished his NIU career as the all-time leader in extra points made and attempted. He converted 196 of his 203 career extra points. Sims also finished his NIU career third in school history in field goals made (52) and second in career scoring (364).

Sims’ best year came in 2013 in which he ranked top-10 in the country in field goals per game. Sims’ 112 total points that season helped NIU reach the 2013 Orange Bowl.