Hidden treasures, vintage, resale stores

Tim Dodge
The outside front entrance of CrackerJax in downtown DeKalb located at 118 N. Third Street. Cracker Jax is DeKalb’s hidden treasure and thrift store. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star).

DeKALB – Downtown store owners breathe new life and purpose into vintage items. Several hidden gems, antique and resale shops, can be found in the area that are sure to be a treat to visitors with clothing, relics and more from times past. 

Shopping at these stores not only helps local business owners, but it also helps reduce unnecessary waste by reusing and repurposing items. 

“I take great pride in selling things that are gently used,” said Vickie Obermiller, owner of Kid Stuff in downtown DeKalb. “I really think there’s such great variety, and I try to help everybody.” 

Obermiller also stressed the importance of resale shops like Kids Stuff because stores like it help customers save money and give new uses to items, such as children’s clothes that have a limited time of use or interest.  

“I am able to go through people’s items, pick the best of the best and use them so people can reuse them again,” Obermiller said.  

Giselle Ortiz, a Huntely resident and frequent shopper at CrackerJax and found. Home & Vintage Marketplace said she found the stores while working in the DeKalb area and was excited about finding vintage stores not far from her job.

“I am absolutely 100% obsessed with vintage. I love all the pretty fashion and styles. All the stores here are full of such whimsy and fill me with joy,” Ortiz said.  

Other business owners also think vintage and resale are important because the shops help save clothes from becoming junk. 

“It’s not throw away or fast fashion, which can end up in dumps. It’s more sustainable,” said Lauren Woods, owner of the vintage shop CrackerJax. 

Some popular resale and vintage shops in downtown DeKalb include:

CRACKERJAX

CrackerJax is a colorful antique and vintage shop. The smell of incense fills the air and many colorful displays line the windows and walls. In the shop patrons can discover something new with each visit. The store offers a wide selection of goodies, fragrances, crystals, vintage clothing and home decor.  

CrackerJax is located at 118 N. Third Street. It is open from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. on Sundays. 

FOUND. HOME & VINTAGE MARKETPLACE

found. is a quaint vintage store located at 153 E. Lincoln Highway. The store offers a selection of vintage and lightly used books, clothes, home decor, furniture and more. 

The store is typically open 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Thursday to Saturday. A unique feature of the store is that it will open as the owner puts it on her front door, “by chance,” which translates to whenever the owner decides to show up Sunday through Wednesday. 

KID STUFF

Kid Stuff is a boutique that focuses on reselling children’s and maternity goods. The store is family-oriented and perfect for finding something last minute for a children’s birthday party or a baby shower.  

The shop is located at 149 E. Lincoln Highway in DeKalb. The store is open 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. Tues, Thurs and Fri. It is also open 10:30 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Wed and 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Sat. The shop is closed on Sun and Mon.