Electric vehicle rebate open now

A charging cord for an electric car charges the vehicle. Illinois’ electric car rebate program opened Wednesday. (Getty Images)

Any electric vehicle purchased by an Illinois resident within the last 90 days will be available for rebate under Illinois’s rebate program.

On Wednesday, Director John J. Kim of the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency reported that the next round of funding for the Illinois Electric Vehicle Rebate Program will open. The beginning of application started Nov. 1 and should not be postmarked any earlier than Nov. 1.

$12 million for the program was budgeted out for the current fiscal year, ending on June 30. The amount of funding per person will depend on the amount of money in the Electric Vehicle Rebate Fund.

Applications will close Jan. 31. The Illinois EPA urges those who are interested in a rebate to submit applications as soon as possible.

Individuals must submit four types of documentation, according to the Illinois EPA’s website.

The Illinois EPA will prioritize the rebates of low-income individuals first as required by the Climate and Equitable Jobs Act.

“Low-income is defined as persons and families whose income does not exceed 80 percent of the State median income,” according to a state press release.”

To submit applications, individuals can visit the Illinois EPA’s website. If individuals wish to see their rebate payment, they can visit the Illinois Comptroller’s website.