Women’s basketball suffers third-straight loss to start 2023

Huskies’ worst start of the century
Alyssa Queen
NIU women’s basketball team huddles in a circle before the game on Feb. 18 against Ball State. The Huskies fell to the University of Southern Indiana on Thursday by a final score of 66-60. (Alyssa Queen | Northern Star)

NIU women’s basketball (0-3) is off to its worst start to a season since 1999 after the Huskies lost 66-60 to the University of Southern Indiana (3-0).

NIU came out of the gate driving the basket with frequency. NIU scored 10 points from the paint in the first quarter, while shooting just four shots from behind the arc. The Huskies scored 28 points from the paint and shot 32 three pointers in its last contest.

NIU went back to its typical long-range offense with success starting in the second quarter, going 4-8 from three to enter halftime in a close 28-25 contest. 

The Huskies finished the game shooting 37.5% from three on 24 attempts. The team was shooting 23.9% from three entering the game.

Senior guard Jayden Marable thought the Huskies’ shooting success was a matter of confidence.

“We’re putting up attempts, I think just continuing to be confident in our shots,” Marable said. “We’re still gonna take them, create for each other and just take open shots. They’ll fall eventually. Just stay confident in that.”

Marable led the Huskies’ offensive attack with 14 points and 5 assists. Senior guard Kortney Drake and redshirt junior guard Sidney McCrea each put up a dozen points on the night.

NIU women’s basketball head coach Lisa Carlsen said she wasn’t dwelling on this loss as the team prepares to play at home.

“It really was a hard-fought ballgame,” Carlsen said. “This isn’t one we are going to hang our heads on. We get a chance to finally get home in front of our home fans, and I know this team is looking forward to that.”

The Huskies will continue its season with its home opener at 6 p.m. Tuesday against Lindenwood University at the Convocation Center. Audio streaming will be available on the Varsity Network, and live stats can be found on SIDEARM Stats.