Marable’s big night snaps 3-game losing streak

Ryanne Sandifer
Redshirt junior guard Sidney McCrea shoots during the NIU women’s basketball game against Lindenwood on Tuesday. The Huskies won the game 77-60. (Ryanne Sandifer | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A career night from senior guard Jayden Marable helped snap a three-game losing streak for NIU women’s basketball (1-3) in its home opener as the Huskies took down Lindenwood University (0-4) 77-60.

Marable flirted with a triple double, posting a season-high 18 points, tying a career-high 8 assists and pulling down 7 rebounds. She led the team in all three categories.

“I was just really hungry after that Southern Indiana loss,” Marable said. “I knew I kind of had to be a leader today and just give all the effort I can. So, I think I was able to do that today.”

The Huskies also put together a strong defensive effort, racking up 4 steals and 2 blocks while holding Lindenwood to a shooting percentage of 29.6%.

CONTINUOUS MOMENTUM

The Huskies gained early momentum with a 9-point run to end the first quarter, giving NIU a 14-9 lead. It is the first time the Huskies have finished the opening quarter with a lead this season.

“I think we were just ready to attack this game,” Marable said. “I think we were just hungry to get a win. So, we came out with a lot of intensity in the first quarter.”

The Huskies maintained its first-quarter momentum throughout the night, never losing the lead it gained with 1:34 remaining in the opening frame.

NIU did most of its offensive damage up close, scoring a season-high 42 points from the paint.

NIU women’s basketball head coach Lisa Carlsen credited Marable for leading the charge in the paint.

“People are gonna really try and take away the three-point shot, and they’re gonna deny us at the wing and make it really tough to run our offense,” Carlsen said. “That’s where someone like Jayden becomes so valuable. You know, somebody who can really create her own shot and put pressure on the rim. We’re gonna need her to do that.”

UP NEXT

NIU will start another long road trip, playing its next four games away from the Convocation Center.

Carlsen has confidence in her players’ ability to stay hot on the upcoming trip.

“I have a lot of faith that this group understands what it takes to prepare for the next opportunity,” Carlsen said. “The opportunity to step on the floor and play and put on a uniform with the people that are closest to you. That doesn’t change. We’ll have an opportunity to get down there, have a nice day of practice and then put back-to-back games together.”

Women’s basketball will play its next game at 10 a.m. Friday against Radford University as part of the November Clasico in San Juan, Puerto Rico. Audio streaming will be available on the Varsity Network.