3 Huskies enter transfer portal ahead of bowl game

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows NIU football’s junior Huskie Devin Lafayette (3), redshirt junior wide receiver Trayvon Rudolph (85) and senior safety C.J. Brown (6). The mentioned Huskies have all announced their intentions to transfer following the 2023 season. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU junior Huskie Devin Lafayette, redshirt junior wide receiver Trayvon Rudolph and senior safety C.J. Brown have entered the transfer portal. 

Lafayette was the first domino to fall, announcing his decision to transfer Monday. Rudolph and Brown followed suit, announcing their decisions on Tuesday. All three players have two years of eligibility remaining. 

Lafayette began his NIU career in 2020, making Third Team All-MAC as a freshman. Lafayette was a jack of all trades for the Huskie defense, playing safety in 2020 and 2021 before being moved to the Huskie position for the 2022 and 2023 seasons, where he floated between safety and linebacker. 

Lafayette played in 28 games as a Huskie, finishing his NIU career with 123 total tackles, 3 forced fumbles and 2 interceptions. Lafayette notched a career-high 44 tackles in 2022.

In 2023, Lafayette appeared in a career-high 11 games, recording 39 total tackles and 2 forced fumbles. 

Rudolph began his NIU career in 2020 as a walk-on before being awarded a scholarship in October 2020. Rudolph was named a Freshman All-American as well as Second Team All-MAC honoree as a kick returner in 2020. 

Rudolph was a key contributor to the Huskies’ 2021 MAC Championship team, being named a Second Team All-MAC honoree as both a wide receiver and a kick returner. In 2021, Rudolph racked up 892 receiving yards and 7 receiving touchdowns offensively and returned 18 kicks for 451 yards and 1 touchdown. 

After suffering a season ending injury in training camp in 2022, Rudolph returned in 2023 and was named a Third Team All-MAC honoree as a wide receiver. 

Rudolph finished his NIU career with 3,150 all-purpose yards and 12 total touchdowns in 31 games as a Huskie. 

Brown began his NIU career in 2020, making the First Team All-MAC in 2021 and Second Team All-MAC in 2022. 

In 2021 Brown led the Huskies with 109 total tackles and scored the only touchdown of his NIU career in the 2021 MAC Championship game. His performance earned him Defensive Player of the Game.

In 2022, Brown led the Huskies in both tackles (76) and pass breakups (5). In his final season as a Huskie in 2023, Brown appeared in just three games due to injury.

Brown appeared in 35 games as a Huskie, finishing his NIU career with 206 total tackles, 9 passes defended and 2 interceptions.