Celebrate Egyptian Theatre’s 94th birthday

Nyla Owens
The front of the Egyptian Theatre in downtown DeKalb. The Egyptian Theatre is celebrating its 94th birthday by taking $94 donations from patrons. (Nyla Owens | Northern Star)

DeKALB – The Egyptian Theatre is celebrating its 94th anniversary of providing entertainment to the local DeKalb community.

Members of the community can show their support by donating $94 or more to the theatre’s Birthday Club. Donations for the Birthday Club will be accepted from now to Dec. 31. These donations help ensure that the Egyptian can maintain its historical integrity and legacy for future generations to enjoy.

The theatre was built during the Egyptian craze that was widespread throughout the United States in 1929. The Preservation of Egyptian Theatre took over ownership in 1978 to save the theatre from closure. It has since been listed on the National Registry of Historic Places. 

The Egyptian Theatre presents over 180 different events a year, from films to touring acts; and hosts over 30 different community organizations each year including local artists, non-profits, NIU and more.

Donations can be online on the Egyptian Theatre website or mailed to 135 N. 2nd Street in DeKalb.