Women’s basketball outpaced by SIUE, loses second straight

Ryanne Sandifer
The NIU women’s basketball team celebrates following its victory over Lindenwood University on Nov. 21. The Huskies fell to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville 89-79 on Sunday. (Ryanne Sandifer | Northern Star)

NIU women’s basketball (3-5) could not keep up with the Southern Illinois University Edwardsville Cougars (2-7), failing to take a single lead in a 89-79 loss.

The Cougars came out of the gate flying up and down the court, racking up 20 points just 5:08 into the game. SIUE held a 27-17 lead by the end of the quarter.

After the game, women’s basketball head coach Lisa Carlsen highlighted NIU’s poor defensive effort in the first quarter.

“You can’t come out in the first quarter and give up 27 points,” Carslen said. “I mean, you automatically put yourself in a hole.”

The Huskies put up their highest score of the season while shooting 45.6% from the field and 33.3% from behind the arc, but the Cougars were better with 47.6% on field goals and 50% from three on 22 shots.

Cougars’ graduate student guard KK Rodriguez led the charge with a career-high 34 points, including 15 in the first quarter.

A 17-3 Huskie run in the second quarter provided a small sign of life for NIU. The run brought the game to a brief tie before the Cougars quickly took back the lead and maintained it through the end of the contest.

Senior forward Tara Stauffacher fought to keep the Huskies competitive with a career day. Stauffacher shattered her career high with 21 points, shooting 8-10 from the field and 4-5 from three.

“Personally, it’s frustrating because I want the team to be successful,” Stauffacher said. “So, I’m glad that I played well, but if it doesn’t result in the team winning it, it just doesn’t feel right to be excited about that. But at the same time, I do know that this is what the team needs from me if we want to be successful.”

The Huskies will return home for a five-game homestand after playing only one home game through their first eight.

Senior guard Jayden Marable said she is excited to get back to the Convocation Center.

“I think we’re all excited to get back on the court, especially at home,” Marable said. “I think we play better, and, especially having the crowd on our side, I think it will be awesome for us.”

NIU women’s basketball plays its next game at 1 p.m. Sunday at the Convocation Center against University of Detroit Mercy. Audio streaming will be available at The Varsity Network. Live stats will be available at SIDEARM Sports.