Books to look out for this year

Anna Scanlan
A stack of four romance and fantasy books sit on a table with lights in the background. Many books are coming out next year, including books similar to the books stacked here. (Anna Scanlan | Northern Star)

For bookworms, a new semester and new year means getting to read anticipated novels releasing in 2024. Of course, with back-to-school season 2.0 in full swing, readers will have less time to read as academic work quickly builds up again. Whether readers have the time to read, these four books expand across the folds of fantastical universes and solidify the beauty readers feel of picking up a new book. 

“A Touch of Chaos”

Scarlett St. Clair ends her Hades and Persephone saga, different from her Hades saga, with the fourth and final installment being “A Touch of Chaos.” The series is a dark romance that follows characters from Greek mythology, Hades and Persephone, in a modernized retelling. St. Clair crafts a heart-pounding romance with high stakes and a possible war outbreak. Seeing the Greek gods and goddesses portrayed in a different, modern way makes the saga unique. For example, Hades owns and operates several nightclubs as well as being the god of the dead. St. Clair will release the novel March 12 which will follow Persephone, with her new title as Queen of the Underworld, and those who wish to strip her of that title. 

“House of Flame and Shadow”

Sarah J. Maas has three very beloved high fantasy series, and her Crescent City series has its third installment releasing on Jan. 30. Maas is known for telling stories that focus on immortal, badass female faeries, and the Crescent City series is another case. Having powerful female characters who are independent and dream seekers makes reading her books more satisfying. The series features half fae/half humans, angels, vampires and everything in between. Those looking for a novel of forbidden romance, a warring world and a diverse set of characters should give Maas a try. “House of Flame and Shadow” picks up right after the second book of the series and will be told from multiple points of view that expand across universes. Maas’ Crescent City books are the epitome of high fantasy and are always page-turners.  

“Heavenly Tyrant”

Xiran Jay Zhao releases the second book in her Iron Widow series, “Heavenly Tyrant,” April 30. Zhao draws from Chinese history to create a new, sci-fi world where female and male pilots pair up to control giant robots to fight invaders behind what’s known as the Great Wall. These robot pilots face many perils that thematically address the harm in a misogynistic system and what it takes to make the system crumble. Pick up this series if you want to follow one pilot learning how to balance a newfound power and the ever-growing emotion of vengeance. 

“Funny Story”

For a quick, cute rom-com, Emily Henry has a new novel releasing April 23 titled “Funny Story.” Stay with me here because this is a mouthful. The novel follows Daphne as she moves in with her new roommate Miles, who ends up being her ex-fiancé’s new fiancée’s ex. This is a plot rarely seen in the romance genre – and a situation that involves two people meeting in a seemingly impossible way. Henry’s past books, such as “Beach Read” and “Book Lovers,” have always felt relatable in the sense that her characters act realistically. Her characters think and act in a way that humans in the real world would. I do not doubt “Funny Story” will be any different. This new book of Henry’s looks like it will be a story about exes getting revenge, which seems comical and diabolical. 

All of these books can be preordered on Amazon and Barnes & Noble.