West nabs MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week

Scott Walstrom
Redshirt sophomore Blake West searches for an opening on his Kent State University opponent. West was named the MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week on Monday following his major decision victory over Ohio University freshman Ryan Meek on Friday. (Scott Walstrom | NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Redshirt sophomore Blake West was named MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week, NIU announced on Wednesday

The MAC Scholar-Athlete of the Week is presented twice a week. The award is presented to one male and one female athlete, considering grade point average and record from the week prior.

West defeated Ohio University freshman Ryan Meek in a 12-0 major decision as NIU veered past the Bobcats 24-15 on Friday. West advanced to 19-5 on the season following Friday’s triumph.

A chemistry major, West upholds a 3.834-grade point average and a flawless 10-0 record in dual meet competitions.

NIU wrestling returns to the mat for an out of conference meet against Cleveland State University at 6 p.m. Friday. Live stats will be available via Trackwrestling.