Frequent miscues bring down women’s basketball in Toledo

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Senior forward Brooke Stonebraker shoots a jump hook over an Eastern Illinois University opponent on Dec. 18, 2023. Stonebraker is currently second in the MAC in rebounds and third among forwards in points per game. (Northern Star file photo)

NIU women’s basketball (9-9, 3-4 MAC) suffered from continuous mistakes to fall to University of Toledo (13-4, 6-1 MAC) by a score of 72-52. NIU is now 1-7 on the road this season with six away games left to play in 2024.

The Huskies started strong, holding a lead for over six minutes in the opening frame, but the Rockets snatched it away in the final minute of the first quarter and never looked back. 

Despite shooting just 30.1% from the field on the game, the Rockets found success off the Huskies 20 personal fouls, scoring 21 points on free throws. The Huskies made just six free throws on 10 attempts.

GIFTING OPPORTUNITIES

The Huskies gave the Rockets plenty of extra offensive opportunities, turning the ball over 16 times and allowing 21 offensive rebounds. The Rockets led the Huskies in field goal attempts 73-59.

NIU women’s basketball head coach Lisa Carlsen highlighted turnovers and rebounds as key faults in the loss.

“I think our unforced turnovers and giving up second chances, when you really do some soul searching, those are toughness plays,” Carlsen said. “Those are things we have to be better at in critical situations and in critical games.”

Senior guard Jayden Marable found success on the boards, leading the game with 13 rebounds, but NIU’s forwards combined for just 10 rebounds on the night.

“I think it’s (rebounding) really just a collective effort,” Marable said. “You need all five people to do their job. You can’t have one or two box out and then the others don’t.”

KEY PERFORMANCES

Toledo fifth year guard Sophia Wiard was the lone standout shooter on the night, devastating NIU’s defense with 21 points by making 5 of 8 three-point attempts and shooting 6-for-6 on free throws.

After a great two-week stretch of averaging 13.8 points and 11 rebounds, senior forward Brooke Stonebraker recorded just 7 points and 4 rebounds before fouling out in the fourth quarter.

UP NEXT

The Huskies return home at 1 p.m. Saturday to face the University of Akron. Video streaming will be available on ESPN+ and audio streaming on The Varsity Network. Live stats will be found on SIDEARM Stats.