Dimensions Dance to bring “Swan Lake” to Egyptian Theatre

Northern Star File Photo
The Egyptian Theatre marquee hangs over the icy sidewalk at 135 N. Second St. Dimensions Youth Ballet and Dimensions Dance Academy are scheduled to perform the classic ballet, “Swan Lake,” Feb 10 and Feb 11. (Northern Star File Photo)

A tale of love, tragedy and heartache, set with a beautiful score by famed Russian composer Pyotr Tchaikovsky, “Swan Lake,” is classic ballet that has drawn in audiences for generations.

Dimensions Youth Ballet and Dimensions Dance Academy will perform “Swan Lake” at 1:00 pm and 6:00 pm Feb. 10 at the Egyptian Theatre. An additional showing will take place at 1:00 pm, Feb. 11.

In the ballet’s story, a spoiled prince is forced to be married but he yearns for love. He then meets a princess who is cursed by dark magic.

By day she is a swan, by night she regains her human appearance. Her curse can only be broken by the power of love.

The ballet is performed by approximately 100 performers from both dance companies.

While the story is adapted from the 1895 production of “Swan Lake” a few changes were made by Dimensions Dance Academy.

“We have, however, added some of our own choreography to accommodate the large number of young children that participate in our production. This allows for freedom and creativity from our choreographers, as well as setting our dancers up for success,” said Miranda Cordes, artistic director for Dimensions Dance Academy.

Tickets are available online at the Egyptian Theatre website or in person from the box office. The price is $25 for a main floor ticket and $35 for a ticket in the front and center section.