AMC, A24 to rerelease ‘Valentine’s Day’ films

AMC to bring back A24 classics
Pearl (Mia Goth) from the film “Pearl” embraces a scarecrow. “Pearl” is one of the films A24 and AMC Theatres will release each Wednesday in February for Valentine’s Day. (Christopher Moss | A24)

AMC Theatres is partnering with indie film company A24 for special screenings of some of their previously released films. The series of films, “A Lovers Series,” will showcase four movies, one each Wednesday in February.

The purchase of a ticket to one of the screenings also includes some A24 freebies. While supplies last, you will receive an exclusive heart sticker and a free month of perks from AAA24, A24’s membership service.

Despite being seemingly Valentine’s themed, these four films focus much more on their characters’ turmoil and slipping grip on sanity.

“Pearl”

A prequel to the movie “X,” which features an elderly woman with murderous tendencies, “Pearl” explores the origin of that character. 

Pearl lives on a farm with her strict mother and father she must care for. She resents this life, however, and yearns for one with more glamor, romance and fame. 

She searches for a way off of the farm, anything that will grant her a different life, one where she can be a star. As the film continues and roadblocks prevent Pearl from achieving her aspirations, she begins to go insane.

A third film to the series, “MaXXXine,” is expected to release in 2024. All three movies feature Mia Goth as the lead character. Her performance in the first two is compelling, perfectly portraying the frustration, ambition and desperation of her characters.

“A Ghost Story”

Valentine’s Day features more loss than love in this film. After dying, a man – a ghost – lingers around his wife and their old home. He longs to be with his wife but cannot interact with her and must watch as she continues life without him. The ghost (Casey Affleck) cannot be with his wife forever. In the afterlife, he is stuck at the site of what once was his home, watching as time changes it.

The film explores themes of time, romance and grief, all juxtaposed by the classic image of a ghost, a white sheet with eye holes cut out. While covering the subject matter of love, it isn’t a feel-good rom-com like you might expect to see on Feb. 14.

“The Lobster”

A Yorgos Lanthimos film, who also directed the recent release “Poor Things,” this dark comedy is set in a dystopian future. 

In this world, single people are taken to a hotel where they have 45 days to find true love or else they will be turned into an animal. This movie is the most romance-based of the bunch, while still maintaining the surreal and unique qualities that many A24 films, including the others on this list, have.

“The Lighthouse”

In this film, Robert Pattinson and Willem Dafoe portray two lighthouse keepers stranded together on an island after a storm. Depicting more horror than romance, the lighthouse keepers must try to retain their sanity while in this isolated place.

This film might be more of an acquired taste, as it is in black and white. Despite its lack of color, the cinematography is still acclaimed, receiving a nomination for the Best Cinematography Oscar in 2020.

Tickets can be purchased ahead of time through AMC. Screenings are at 7 p.m. every Wednesday in February, with the nearest participating locations to DeKalb being AMC South Barrington 24, AMC Naperville 16 and AMC Streets of Woodfield 20.