NIU Anime Association offers free snacks, games, anime

An individual holds a pink pencil as they draw an anime character. NIU’s Anime Association meets 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays in Stevens Building 170A. (Courtesy of Getty Images)

DeKALB – “Kiss Him, Not Me” and “Frieren: Beyond Journey’s End” are two anime being shown with the Anime Association this semester.

NIU’s Anime Association meets from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays in Stevens Building 170A. 

The Anime Association meetings consist of watching different anime, playing games and meeting new people.

Ragnar Texas Gam-Ad, a senior history major, said the club is relaxing and a fun place to come to.

“We come in around 6 p.m. and watch a few episodes of an anime and then play some games and then we watch two more episodes of an anime,” Gam-Ad said.

The Anime Association is open to everyone.

“Anyone can join, even alumni,” said Martin Astter, junior geography major and president of the Anime Association. 

The meetings follow a similar routine but what is played and watched changes after they finish an anime. Last semester they completed multiple anime including “Bocchi the Rock!” and “Bungo Stray Dogs.” 

Astter said they chose as a club what anime they watch as a group. 

“A bunch of people just come on in and watch anime and we have snacks and drinks for each other,” Astter said.

The Anime Association’s largest event is an anime convention, Karoshi-Con. From 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on April 13 throughout the Holmes Student Center there will be game rooms, Artist Alley for vendors to sell merchandise, and cosplay.

“We have a massive event called Karoshi-Con. It’s free, and we have a website,” Astter said. 

Dylan Ruan, senior applied mathematics major and event coordinator for the Anime Association, said the Anime Association helped his socialization in college.

“We make a space for fans of anime to socialize and watch shows and to escape the stress of being a student,” Ruan said.

The Anime Association has been a part of NIU since 1999.

“We have always had a good amount of members,” Astter said. “We have no requirements to join, just come and hang out.”