Amos scores second Huskie of the Week honor

Eddie Miller
A graphic shows sophomore forward Xavier Amos. Amos has led the Huskies in scoring in their past two games, scoring 25 points against Central Michigan University and 19 points against Eastern Michigan University. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

DeKALB – A 19-point, 6-rebound performance from sophomore forward Xavier Amos propelled NIU men’s basketball to its first conference win and Amos’ second Huskie of the Week honor.

The 6-foot-8-inch forward led the Huskies in scoring in their victory over Eastern Michigan University on Saturday. Amos also recorded 3 blocks to pace NIU’s defense.

Saturday’s game was Amos’ second straight game in which he led the Huskies in scoring. 

In a double overtime loss to Central Michigan University Tuesday, Amos finished one point shy of his career-high with 25 points. The Chicago native recorded 7 rebounds and shot 9-for-12 from the free throw line in the loss.

Amos has cemented himself as NIU’s third-leading scorer and top rebounder with 13.7 points per game and 5.5 rebounds per game. His 116 total rebounds lead all Huskie players.

Next week’s Huskie of the Week will be announced on Feb. 12.

The Northern Star sports section’s Huskie of the Week is voted for on a weekly basis. Student-athletes considered for this week’s edition were chosen based on their weekly performance in competitions taking place from Jan. 29 to Feb. 4.