Jackson nabs MAC Co-West Wrestler of the Week

Courtesy of NIU Athletics
Redshirt sophomore Jacobi Jackson studies his opponent in an NIU wrestling home meet against Kent State University on Dec. 19, 2023. Jackson was named the MAC Co-Wrestler of the Week Tuesday. (Courtesy of NIU Athletics)

DeKALB – Redshirt sophomore Jacobi Jackson was named the MAC Co-West Wrestler of the Week, the conference announced Tuesday. 

The announcement follows a dual-deciding victory at the heavyweight division against the University at Buffalo on Saturday. Trailing 14-16 as a team, Jackson defeated redshirt freshman Lonnell Owens-Pabbon 12-3 to win the dual 18-16.

Earning his fourth major decision victory of the season, Jackson improved to 11-4 overall and 9-1 in dual meet settings. 

Jackson is the only Huskie wrestler to receive rankings in the NCAA coaches poll, Intermat and FloWrestling, for the week of Jan 30. 

The Huskies return home at 7 p.m. Friday, to face defending MAC champion Lock Haven University in the annual “Beauty and the Beast Dual”. Live stats will be available via Track Wrestling and broadcast will be available via NIU All-Access