DeKalb wins ‘Best Tasting Water’ in district

DeKalb Director of Utilities and Transportation Bryan Faivre (center) raises a glass of water at the Illinois Section American Water Works Association District 1 Water Taste Test Competition alongside representatives from engineering firm Willett Hofmann and Associates. DeKalb won first place in the district on Jan. 26 in Freeport. (Courtesy of the City of DeKalb)

DeKalb will face off for the distinction of having the “Best Tasting Water” in the state after winning the Illinois Section American Water Works Association (ISAWWA) District 1 Water Taste Test Competition.

The city of DeKalb competed against other cities in the northwestern Illinois area including Rockford, North Park and Moline to determine the best tasting water produced by each cities’ water supplies.

The contest was held on Jan. 26 in Freeport, Illinois with water judged by its clarity, taste and odor. 

DeKalb’s advancement grants the city the chance to compete with other district winners for the honor of having the “Best Tasting Water” in the state at the annual ISAWWA WATERCON conference on April 15 in Peoria. The DeKalb Water Division will represent the city of DeKalb.

Winners of the state contest will be eligible to be awarded the distinction of “Best Tasting

Water” in the nation at the American Water Works Association (AWWA) conference in June.