NIU to host February blood drive

Three+information+boxes+float+under+the+words+%E2%80%9CFebruary+Blood+Drive.%E2%80%9D+ACS%2C+Interfaith+Legal+Society%2C+and+Public+Interest+Law+Society+will+host+a+blood+drive+on+Monday.+%28Courtesy+of+ACS%2C+Interfaith+Legal+Society%2C+and+Public+Interest+Law+Society%29+
Three information boxes float under the words “February Blood Drive.” ACS, Interfaith Legal Society, and Public Interest Law Society will host a blood drive on Monday. (Courtesy of ACS, Interfaith Legal Society, and Public Interest Law Society)

DeKALB – NIU will host a blood drive sponsored by the American Red Cross to support individuals dealing with blood-related issues and encourage donating blood on a regular basis.

The American Constitution Society, Interfaith Legal Society and Public Interest Law Society will host the blood drive from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. Monday in the North Wing of Swen Parson Hall. 

Attendees can schedule for the event online, but walk-ins are welcome. 

Jennifer Brazzale, NIU graduate student majoring in law and president of the ACS, said the event will provide snacks, drinks and a $20 Amazon gift card for blood donors. 

“NIU students are at the point where they can start being regular blood donors,” Brazzale said. “It makes a big impact and is fairly simple to do and a good practice to get into.” 

Brazzale said there are approximately 30 people registered online to donate blood. 

“Fingers crossed many more than that will attend,” Brazzale said.

Brazzale said the event should only take about an hour, and the blood donated is for the American Red Cross.

“They (American Red Cross) kind of farm it out to whoever needs it — hospital centers, dialysis centers,” Brazzale said. 

To sign up for the event, go to the Red Cross website