Coit named MAC Player of the Week

Sean Reed
Junior guard David Coit (11) prepares to make a fake pass to a teammate in front of him before quickly sending the ball to a teammate behind him. Coit was named MAC Player of the Week following his career-high scoring performance and surpassing 1000 career points scored. (Sean Reed | Northern Star)

DeKALB – NIU junior guard David Coit earned his first career MAC Player of the Week award for his historic week against the University of Toledo Rockets and the University of Akron Zips.

Facing the top two teams in the MAC, the 5-foot-11-inch guard averaged 31 points per game, 4 assists per game, 4 rebounds per game and 1.5 steals per game. Coit led the Huskies in scoring in both the win at Toledo and the loss at Akron.

Coit surpassed the 1,000 career point mark against Akron, becoming just the fourth Huskie to do so in two seasons or less.  

Coit scored 27 points on 6-for-12 from three-point range and tied redshirt sophomore guard Zion Russell with a team-high 5 assists in the Huskies Feb. 27 victory over Toledo. Coit and the Huskies handed the Rockets their first home conference loss of 2023-24. 

After the upset win over Toledo, Coit followed with a career-high 35 points against the MAC-leading Zips. Coit stuffed the stat sheet in the Huskies’ loss, tying senior forward Harvin Ibarguen for a team-high 7 rebounds, dishing out 3 assists and racking up 3 steals. 

Coit’s 35 points are tied with Bowling Green State University junior guard Marcus Hill for the most points scored by any MAC player this season. Coit’s 3.2 three-point field goals per game lead the conference and his 20.5 points per game are good for third in the MAC

Coit is tied for 16th in the country in three-point field goals per game and ranks tied for 23rd in the nation in points per game.

The Huskies will be back in action at 7 p.m. Tuesday at the Convocation Center against the Central Michigan University Chippewas for their final home game of the season. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats