Konan Niederhauser breaks out in Huskies’ loss to CMU

Coit breaks NIU’s single season 3-point field goal record
Tim Dodge
Sophomore forward Yanic Konan Niederhauser (14) and junior guard David Coit (11) double team Central Michigan University junior guard Anthony Pritchard in an NIU men’s basketball home game on Tuesday. Konan Niederhauser and Coit combined for 39 points in the Huskies 69-63 defeat. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

DeKALB – Central Michigan University’s (17-13, 11-6 MAC) balanced offensive attack proved to be too much for NIU men’s basketball (10-20, 4-13 MAC) to handle as the Huskies fell 69-63 Tuesday in their final home game of the 2023-2024 season.

Sophomore forward Yanic Konan Niederhauser recorded a career-high 27 points and led the Huskies in rebounds and blocks in Tuesday’s loss.

Junior guard David Coit shot an abysmal 4-for-18 from the field with 12 points, but broke the NIU single-season record for three-point field goals made. Coit knocked down 3 of his 11 attempts from downtown.

The 5-foot-11-inch guard now sits at 88 three-pointers made this season.

KONAN NIEDERHAUSER’S STANDOUT GAME

After averaging just 6.5 points per game all season for NIU, it only took Konan Niederhauser 20 minutes to shatter his previous career high of 15 points. Konan Niederhauser scored 17 points in the first half and finished with 27.

The Fraschels, Switzerland native was a force on both sides of the ball, as he tallied 3 blocks and a team-high 8 rebounds.

“I was just playing with like, no distractions,” Konan Niederhauser said. “Just hoopin’ for real, going crazy.”

With 2:49 remaining in the second half, the 6-foot-11-inch forward threw down a thunderous dunk to electrify the Convocation Center crowd.

“I just saw the open lane, and I was like ‘I got to punch that,’” Konan Niederhauser said.

Konan Niederhauser’s jam cut Central Michigan’s lead to just 6 points, but NIU was unable to mount a large enough rally to come back.

BALANCED CHIPPEWA ATTACK

Four Central Michigan players recorded double-digit scoring performances in the Chippewas’ winning effort. Junior guard Derrick Butler led CMU with 24 points and 4 rebounds.

The freshman duo of center Hunter Harding and guard Cayden Vasko finished with 10 points apiece. Junior guard Anthony Pritchard played a support role for the Chippewas, finishing with 10 assists and 9 rebounds.

SLOW START, SLOW FINISH

NIU began Tuesday’s contest down 17-4 after just 4 minutes of play. Butler and Vasco combined for 13 of CMU’s quick 17 points. 

NIU men’s basketball head coach Rashon Burno was not pleased with the Huskies’ slow start.

“Disappointing, from an effort standpoint to start the game,” Burno said. “I don’t think we, or, I know we didn’t have the right intentions to go out and compete. You know, we get down 17 to 3. This is the same group coming off of Toledo and Akron where the game at the eight-minute mark was ultra competitive. So I don’t think we had the right focus.”

Five Huskies scored in the first half, but no NIU player scored more than 4 points other than Konan Niederhauser to start the game. Coit, NIU’s leading scorer per game, finished the opening frame shooting 1-for-7.

In the second half, NIU cut the deficit to 5 with 1:55 remaining, but poor Huskie defense allowed CMU graduate student guard Brian Taylor to score the game-sealing layup.

Each time the Huskies seemed to have life, the Chippewas would have an answer. NIU led the game for a total of 50 seconds.

COIT’S WEEK OF ACCOLADES

Coit drained his record-breaking 85th three of the 2023-2024 season in the 15th minute of the second half on Tuesday.

The Columbus, New Jersey native was also named the MAC Player of the Week on Monday following his career-high scoring performance against the University of Akron on Saturday. Coit finished with 35 points against the Zips.

Coit also eclipsed the 1000 career-points scored mark in Saturday’s loss to Akron.

UP NEXT

The Huskies will play their final game of the 2023-2024 season against the University at Buffalo at 6 p.m. Friday in Buffalo, New York. The game will be streamed on ESPN+ and live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats.