COLUMN: Rumbling with Illinois mascots

Ranking Illinois D1 schools by how confidently I could beat them in a fight
Eddie Miller
A graphic shows Sports Reporter Skyler Kisellus above the logos of 12 Illinois universities. Kisellus details how he would fare in a hypothetical fist fight with each of the 12 Illinois universities’ mascots. (Eddie Miller | Northern Star)

If you’ve come here in search of rankings to base your early March Madness bracket picks on, keep looking.

If you’ve come to find out how I, a wise-cracking and far-from-athletic sports reporter, would fare against the nicknames of Illinois’ 13 Division I schools, then you’ve come to the right place.

After posting my rankings of MAC teams based on how confidently I could defeat them in battle back in November, I’ve returned to present the second edition of my series. Who doesn’t love a good sequel?

The same rules apply as before: I can only use my two fists and the battle only ends once myself or my opponent drops dead.

Let’s get into it.

12 – DEPAUL BLUE DEMONS

As far as I’m concerned, demons don’t exist, especially blue ones. I win by virtue of existing.

11 – ILLINOIS STATE REDBIRDS

I swat it. Aside from their sharp claws, big birds aren’t too intimidating, and this is just a small bird. I swat it.

10 – LOYOLA RAMBLERS

So, my opponent is someone who just moves around aimlessly? Maybe I can just hope they wander somewhere deadly and win by default. Sister Jean would probably put up a better fight.  

Writer’s note: Rambler? Was that really the best you could come up with, Loyola?

9 – SOUTHERN ILLINOIS SALUKIS

Salukis are gorgeous dogs, but terrible fighters. This isn’t “Air Bud” where dogs can pull off the improbable. The dog dies.

8 – NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS

It’s a wildcat, and probably much more aggressive than the random cat that keeps sneaking into my apartment. I’ll make it out with my life and probably several scratches.

7 – NORTHERN ILLINOIS HUSKIES

I’d hate to cut a fantastic singing career short, but I refuse to lose to a husky.

6 – CHICAGO STATE/SIUE COUGARS

This is where things get ugly for me. Cats can be nasty, but big cats will end me. 

5 – EASTERN ILLINOIS PANTHERS

Apparently, panthers and cougars are essentially the same animal, so I’m equally screwed regardless. I’m putting EIU a spot higher because, one, I can, and, two, to piss off the other Illinois cat teams.

4 – UIC FLAMES

Flames are basically fire. I’m cooked – literally. Maybe I could stomp it out, but I doubt I have the stamina to do it for a large fire.

3 – ILLINOIS FIGHTING ILLINI

A bit of research will show that “Fighting Illini” doesn’t directly refer to any ethnic group. However, Illinois still ranks No. 3 on this list purely because Fighting Illini now equates to a massive contingent of hell-raising, probably drunk collegiates. Send help.

2 – BRADLEY BRAVES

Today I learned that a brave is a Native American warrior. I also learned that I, someone with exactly zero battle experience, don’t stand any chance here.

1 – WESTERN ILLINOIS LEATHERNECKS

Don’t let that snarling bulldog fool you. “Leatherneck” is actually slang for a member of the United States Marine Corps. I have a hard enough time battling a tall set of stairs, let alone a Marine.

Congratulations, Western Illinois. You’re finally better than the rest of the state at something.