BREAKING: Firefighters respond to structure fire on Lincoln Highway

Sean Reed
Water shoots into the old Illini Tire Co. building as firefighters look at the damage. At 11:02 p.m. on Tuesday, firefighters and emergency crews arrived to a structure fire at 1031 W. Lincoln Highway . (Sean Reed | Northerner Star)

Editor’s note: This piece was last updated at 11:04 p.m. 

DeKALB
– At approximately 11:02 p.m. Tuesday, first responders responded to a structure fire at 1031 W. Lincoln Highway.

Police blocked northbound on Annie Glidden at the intersection of Annie Glidden and Lincoln Highway. 

Three fire trucks were on scene working to put out the fire along with two fire cars, six DeKalb PD vehicles, a DeKalb ambulance and a Cortland ambulance.

“Please avoid the area of W. Lincoln Highway and Annie Glidden Road for a structure fire,” the DeKalb PD posted on X at 11:04 p.m.

ComEd was on scene looking at electrical poles.

DeKalb Fire Chief Mike Thomas could not confirm the fire’s cause, but deemed there was no foul play involved.

“We don’t know the cause of the fire but we can confirm it was not suspicious,” Thomas said.

The building has been empty since the former business Illini Tire Co. closed in 2018. 

Firefighters used a Bobcat skid steer to pull out items from the inside along with pulling out cars that remained inside.

Thomas confirmed that the extent of the damage totaled to around $140,000, mainly from roof structure and content damages.

Firefighters presumably left the scene around 1 a.m., or two hours after the emergency started, according to Thomas.