AARC teams up with NIU Esports

Tim Dodge
Jakob Furgat speaks to the group about the Esports culture in Asia on Tuesday night in the Esports Arena at Altgeld Hall. The event was hosted by the Asian American Resource Center Ohana Series in collaboration with NIU Esports. (Tim Dodge | Northern Star)

Video games are extremely popular and only growing in appeal to different people around the world, as different ways to play the games are made. 

In collaboration with NIU Esports, the Asian American Resource Center (AARC) invited students to attend a 30-minute “Esports in Asia” presentation with time for questions afterward. 

Presented from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. on March 26, the presentation informed attendees of the ins and outs of esports. 

The presentation also highlighted some prominent Asian American esports players and teams such as “Zekken” from “Sentinels,” “Faker” from “T1” and “Aceu,” a content creator and member of “Sentinels.” 

Attendees were encouraged to ask any questions they might have about NIU Esports, other esports teams or the practice of esports in general after the presentation had concluded. 

Held on the right side of NIU’s Esports Arena in Altgeld Hall, the event had 25 people in attendance with nearly all of the available seats being filled.

Seating arrangements ranged from comfortable office chairs to large tables and fluffy couches. 

The presentation was shown on one of the television monitors visitors can use to play games on during regular hours. 

Angel Cabang, a member of the AARC, wanted visitors to recognize the resources they have available and know that the AARC is one of them. 

“We wanted them to get to know the space as another resource on campus as well as opportunities that they have,” Cabany said. “To help them find ways to turn their passions or interests or hobbies into careers that benefit them in the future.” 

Chrisitina Carpio, another member of the AARC present at the presentation, wants attendees to know that esports can be a potential career path. 

“I would say we want students to learn about the diversity in esports,” Carpio said. “We want them to realize how big esports was in Asia – taking up 52% of the market – and for students who are Asian American to see this as a potential career path.” 

The members of AARC invited students interested to attend their OHANA events, which happen at 5 p.m. every Tuesday. 

For additional information and more of their events similar to “Esports in Asia,” check the NIU event calendar.