Women’s tennis routed 6-1 by Western Michigan

Katherine Follmer
NIU junior Reagan Welch prepares to return a serve on March 9. Welch’s singles win earned the only point for NIU women’s tennis Sunday in a 6-1 loss to Western Michigan University. (Northern Star File Photo)

NIU women’s tennis (13-9, 2-4 MAC) won only two matches in the 6-1 defeat at the hands of Western Michigan University Broncos (13-6, 4-2 MAC). 

One victory in singles matches and one doubles victory kept the Huskies from being swept, but the Broncos prevented the comeback. 

Sophomore Isabella Righi and senior Diana Lukyanova were bested in a 6-1 set against 5th year student Lindsey Zieglar and senior Valeriya Monko. Senior Anastasia Rakita and junior Reagan Welch lost to senior Karin Hamilton and junior Polina Khotko by a score of 6-4. 

Junior Erika Dimitriev and sophomore Nataly Ninova dominated their match against freshman Julia Frazier and sophomore Audrey Smitek, sweeping them in a 6-0 victory. 

In singles, five Huskies were defeated in two set matches. 

Dimitriev lost in 6-1, 6-2 matches against Zieglar. Winning only one game, Lukyanova’s match against Hamilton ended in a 6-1, 6-0 defeat. Righi was bested in 6-2, 6-4 sets by Monko. Ninova was defeated by Khotko by a score of 6-2, 6-1. After losing a 6-3 first set, sophomore Jenna Horne lost to Smitek in a 7-5 second set.

Dropping the first set 6-2, Welch came back in the second set 6-4 before taking a 1-0 (10-8) tiebreaker in her win against senior Maya Perkucin. 

NIU women’s tennis continues its road trip at noon CT Friday at the UT Varsity Tennis Courts in Toledo, Ohio when they take on the University of Toledo.