Summerhill ties single-season home run record in Huskies’ loss

Senior outfielder/catcher Colin Summerhill prepares to swing at a pitch in an NIU baseball game against Louisiana State University. Summerhill hit his 14th and 15th home runs of the 2024 season, tying NIU’s single season home run record. (Courtesy of Jonathan Mailhes)

Senior outfielder/catcher Colin Summerhill tied NIU’s (11-24, 6-9 MAC) single-season record for home runs in Sunday’s 21-11 loss to the University of Illinois (20-13, 7-2 Big Ten). 

RECORD-TYING PERFORMANCE

Summerhill smashed two home runs in Sunday’s contest – his 14th and 15th of the season. Summerhill also drove in four runs on the day, bringing his season total to 41. 

The senior slugger hit six home runs over four games this week, including four during the Huskies’ three-game set against Illinois this weekend. 

Summerhill also passed former Huskie Justin Behm on the all time home run list, as Summerhill now sits alone in third with 26 career home runs in his second season in DeKalb. 

“After his great start to the year, Colin was struggling early into MAC play,” said NIU baseball head coach Ryan Copeland via NIU Athletics. “He was a little bit better last weekend, and it rolled into the midweek win at Eastern Illinois and this entire weekend. He got back to controlling the strike zone, and he just didn’t miss the barrel. We did some things differently in practice, and he was very responsive to that and saw some of the benefits this weekend.”

POOR PITCHING

The Huskies used a total of eight pitchers in its loss to Illinois, with senior pitcher Dominic Hann getting the start. Hann surrendered eight runs in just 1.2 innings of work before being pulled from the game. 

Freshman pitcher Alex Day saw similar results to Hann, giving up four runs in just an inning of work. 

Sophomore outfielder/pitcher Jake Kohanzo and senior pitcher Ryan Linkletter only recorded one out between both of their outings. The two pitchers surrendered six total runs, three by each pitcher, and allowed three free passes. 

Redshirt senior catcher Jacob Schroeder and redshirt junior infielder Drake Westcott both clubbed three home runs for the Illini. The two batters drove in 13 of Illinois’ 21 runs. 

The entire Huskies pitching staff did not enjoy its trip to Champaign this weekend, as they gave up 52 runs over a three-game set. 

OFFENSIVE ATTACK

Along with Summerhill’s two-homer day, the Huskies offense slugged five home runs in Sunday’s matchup. 

Three of the Huskies’ home runs came in the first inning, as Summerhill started the scoring with a three-run home run. Senior infielder Mason Kelley followed up with a two-run home run of his own. 

Freshman outfielder Charlie Parcell belted his third home run of his young collegiate career, a solo shot which put the Huskies up 6-0 early. 

Despite getting out to an early lead, NIU’s pitching staff could not hold strong. The Huskies fell behind in the fourth inning and never regained the lead. 

Summerhill and freshman catcher Cooper Cohn both hit solo home runs in the seventh inning. 

Senior infielder Eric Erato enjoyed a nice day at the plate, going 2-for-3 with a walk and three runs scored. Erato’s two-hit day raised his team-leading batting average to .344.

Erato now sits at 121 career walks and is just one walk behind NIU’s Tommy Hook for second all-time at NIU. 

“I thought we swung the bats pretty well despite a lousy weekend,” Copeland said. “Illinois’ hitters were just too comfortable in the box. We couldn’t find a way to keep the ball in the ballpark. We had the lead but didn’t do enough today to neutralize the opponent.”

UP NEXT

The Huskies will be back in action at 1 p.m. Wednesday at Ralph McKinzie Field at Walt and Janice Owens Park to take on the University of St. Thomas. Live stats will be available via SIDEARM Stats.