Huskies face pivotal conference matchup

Redshirt freshman quarterback Marcus Childers gets ready to throw in the Huskies’ 63-17 win Thursday against Ball State. Kickoff against Western Michigan is set for 6 p.m. Thursday at Huskie Stadium.

By Ryan Ostry

The football team will host its, arguably, second biggest game of the season on senior night as the Western Michigan University Broncos will come to DeKalb looking to supersede the Huskies in the Mid-American Conference West standings.

“Western Michigan is a good football team, Head Coach Rod Carey said. “Western is a well-coached football team, I have a ton of respect for them and [Western Michigan] has really good football players.”

The Huskies (7-3, 5-1 MAC) will host their final home game of the season as they will try and go undefeated at home in conference play.

NIU is coming off of a 63-17 route Thursday night against the Ball State Cardinals, where redshirt freshman quarterback Marcus Childers threw for a career-high four touchdown passes.

“[Childers] is able to get [the receivers] the ball in space to let us do what we do, he has been taking everything in, getting better each week and getting more comfortable,” junior wide receiver D.J. Brown said.

Special teams has had a large impact for NIU this year, as the Huskies are coming off their first game with two blocked punts since their 59-21 win Nov. 20, 2010 at Ball State.

“It’s exciting for us,” redshirt sophomore safety Trayshon Foster said. “When the coaches talk with us and emphasize special teams, we can look at it from an offensive and defensive perspective and have just as much of an impact in the game.”

The Broncos are coming into the game with an 6-4 record after beating the Kent State Golden Flashes by four touchdowns.

Head Coach Tim Lester is at the helm for Western Michigan after losing former Head Coach P.J. Fleck to the Minnesota Golden Gophers.

Fleck led the Broncos to an Cotton Bowl appearance this past season, which ended up in a loss to the Wisconsin Badgers.

Western Michigan is also dealing with the absence of former star receiver Corey Davis, who is now catching balls from Marcus Mariota on the Tennessee Titans.

The Broncos have not had a steady decline in its offense, as senior running back Jarvion Franklin has been running all over defenses, tallying almost 1,100 yards with 10 touchdowns, according to ESPN.

“Jarvion Franklin is a great running back but we’re going to come out do what we have to do and execute our game plan,” Foster said. “[We’re going to] fly to the ball, swarm to the ball and play good team defense.”

Western Michigan will be without its normal starting sophomore quarterback Jon Wassink, who broke his collarbone against Eastern Michigan.

Wassink has thrown 14 touchdowns and just four interceptions, as he will be replaced by true freshman quarterback Reece Goddard, who has struggled with his accuracy, completing only 40 percent of his throws.

NIU will finish its home schedule against the Broncos on senior night 6 p.m. Wednesday at Huskie Stadium.